Head of School Position
MCHN is seeking a Head of School to bring leadership and vision to the MCHN community. The Head of School will be an inspiring presence, setting the tone for the teachers, the children and the greater MCHN community. As leader of MCHN, the Head of School should be an engaging communicator with children and parents, a champion and supporter of staff, an advocate of the school’s special contributions to our island and a proponent of the expansion of its charitable support network. In collaboration with the Board of Trustees, the Head of School will be responsible for the well-being and growth of the MCHN.
- Manage all aspects of day-to-day school operations including, but not
limited to: ensuring proper licensing and inspections; maintaining accurate
and thorough records; ordering classroom supplies and materials.
- Manage financial aspects of MCHN and oversee operating budget with
accountability to the Board of Trustees.
- Monitor/manage tuition payments.
- Recruit, hire and supervise faculty. Provide feedback to teachers on a regular
basis. Support staff in achieving educational/professional development
- Collaborate with teachers to coordinate curriculum and provide the
necessary support to effectively implement the Montessori educational
philosophy. Convene regular faculty meetings.
- Work with teachers to establish and maintain a harmonious classroom
environment. Serve as a resource, guiding teachers in addressing specific
- Coordinate parent/teacher conferences and support teachers in providing
parents with constructive/appropriate student feedback.
- Maintain accurate, thorough and current records for all staff members.
- Serve as point person responding to inquiries from prospective families.
Manage all aspects of enrollment process including: coordinating tours and
readiness visits; communicating with prospective families; and notifying
families about enrollment decisions.
- Prepare and disseminate tuition contracts and enrollment packets.
- In consultation with faculty, determine appropriate disciplinary actions
and/or dismissal of students.
Building Community/External Relations:
- Articulate MCHN’s mission to constituents and maintain MCHN’s
visibility/reputation as a leader in Montessori/Early Childhood education.
- Build relationships between students/parents, faculty and Board. Be visible
and accessible to all members of the MCHN community.
- Encourage and enlist volunteer engagement.
- Develop and organize new fundraising initiatives: Annual Fund, Capital
- Lead by example, setting the tone for a school culture that reflects the values
associated with the Montessori educational philosophy.
Accountability to/Partnership with Board of Trustees:
- Report to the President(s) of the Board of Trustees.
- Prepare monthly reports on the status of MCHN’s operations/budget for the
- Develop proposed annual budget for review/approval by Board including:
recommended tuition rates; proposed salary increases/adjustments; staffing
changes and operational priorities.
- Attend all agenda-setting meetings, Board meetings and Board retreats.
- Demonstrated commitment to, or interest in/willingness to learn, the
Montessori educational philosophy.
- Experience in an early childhood educational environment or related
- BA required with 8-10 years of experience in related field preferred.
- Masters Degree, Certification in Early Childhood Education and/or
Montessori training a plus.
- Model of Montessori Grace and Courtesy.
- Loves and connects with students.
- Articulate, straightforward communicator, and a community builder.
MCHN is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetic information.
Salary negotiable and commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to: MCHNsearch@gmail.com